COVerage - San gabriel valley tribune
From the San Gabriel Valley Examiner: ARCADIA – In Arcadia, Californians For Equal Rights (CFER), the official 2020 NO on Prop 16 group, threw a rally that drew in hundreds of attendees and almost 300 cars. On Saturday, August 8, cars gathered in unity to denounce affirmative action, which will be on the November ballot.
Prop 16 seeks to modify the California Constitution by removing a non-discrimination clause and will legalize using race and gender as a basis for college admissions and other school choices and practices such as charter schools and school leadership. Additionally it will allow all public government agencies to hire and promote based on sex and the color of your skin. This affects government jobs, public employment promotions and contracts with the University of California, Cal State Universities, Elementary Schools and High Schools. It would repeal Prop 209, instituted in 1996, which barred governmental discrimination based on race, sex, color, ethnicity or national origin during the selection process. (read more)
instructions - Car Rally Protesting Prop 16 in Los Angeles 8/8
Our 6th Statewide No Prop 16 car rally protest will happen on August 8, 10:30AM-1:00PM at Arcadia County Park, 405 S Santa Anita Ave, Arcadia, CA 91006.
Featuring speakers: Leo Terrell, Dr. Richard Sander, Phillip Chen, Roger Chandler, and Paul Cheng.
1. Check out Facebook live stream when the event starts.
3. Come early to join our fundraising event and check out posters and charity sales.
4. Learn how to self-decorate a car.
- Please DO NOT take the risk if you have any symptoms of sneezing, coughing, fever, etc.
- Please cover your face and keep social distancing.
10:30am-11:30am Speeches, parking, last minute decoration (materials supplied) at Volunteer services
11:30-12:30 pm Car Rally route
1. Drive safely, keep a 5-10mph speed. Stay in the right lane
2. During the rally, you can keep in contact with your lead car and with the phone number in the poster during the parade
3. Drivers can honk when there are crowds, passengers can wave the flag and chant the No on 16 slogan
12:30-1:00pm Return to the starting point, thank you everyone!
Map and details:
#1 Event Area
#D entrance only
#E exit only
#F exit only
If there are many cars that need to park at parking lot #3, they can join after turning right from exits E and F onto Huntington Dr, and then right again on Santa Anita Ave
37 min (14.6 miles) without Traffic
Start: 🎪Arcadia County Park🎪
1. Turn right ➡️onto S Santa Anita Ave
2. Turn right ➡️onto Valley Blvd 12 min (4.7 mi)
3. Turn right ➡️onto San Gabriel Blvd9 min (2.8 mi)
4. Head north on 🚘 San Gabriel Blvd toward Huntington Dr
5. Turn right ➡️onto Huntington Dr 7 min (3.3 mi)
6. Head east 🔼on Huntington Dr toward Arcadia County Park
7. Turn right ➡️onto S Santa Anita Ave
8. Arrive Arcadia County Park on the right. 9 min (3.8 mi)